With Electric Zoo only a few days away, take a behind-the-scenes look at the green initiatives, art installations, sponsors and partners that make New York’s electronic music festival – featuring 100+ of the world’s best electronic music artists headlined by Tiësto, David Guetta and Armin van Buuren – so unique.
Electric Zoo Green Initiatives
Electric Zoo is setting a new precedent by producing the festival in a manner that is environmentally responsible. This year, the festival is instituting a set of green initiatives in an effort to be more environmentally conscious.
- On-site recycling program for all of the trash.
- h20 brand water in cardboard containers this year instead of plastic water bottles.
- All of the food products and beer will be served on compostable ware (including plates, cups, napkins & utensils).50% of on-site generators are running on 100% biodiesel alternative fuel from recycled NYC fryer grease and the rest are on a B30 blend of 30% biodiesel from recycled NYC fryer grease and 70% diesel.
- All of the site equipment is running on a B30 blend of 30% biodiesel from recycled NYC fryer grease and 70% diesel.
- All food vendors that offer meat or dairy products are required by contract to source only organic, hormone free, humanely raised (cruelty free) products.
- No factory farmed animal products are permitted for sale at Electric Zoo.
On-site Art Installations
Electric Zoo invites you to explore and interact with art installations both inside the festival grounds and along the shoreline of Randall’s Island.
Garden of EZ
The Garden of EZ is a space to get lost in a reverie, and find yourself in a moment of contemplation. Featuring the work of artist Gizem Bacaz, and also home to Braindrop by Kate Raudenbush, the garden is a study of nature, blooming with art and eye candy. Be sure to pay a visit during the day and the night, as the garden transforms itself after sunset.
Braindrop by Kate Raudenbush
This 17-foot tall, 10-foot wide laser-cut steel water drop recalls sacred spaces created to honor the water gods of ancient times. Kate Raudenbush’s Braindrop is a meditation space to honor the element of water in modern times. Be sure to take a few moments of solace and visit Braindrop at Electric Zoo, in the Garden of EZ.
FLOW: A two-part public art exhibition on Randall’s Island
The Randall’s Island Sports Foundation (RISF), The Bronx Museum of the Arts, and Made Event are pleased to present FLOW, an environmental art exhibition featuring 5 site-specific art projects on view since July along the shoreline at Randall’s Island Park. The project is aimed at fostering appreciation of the shoreline through artistic expression, while calling visitors to interact with and care for the park’s island environment. A portion of the sale of every Electric Zoo ticket from 2010 and 2011 is donated to the project. Be sure to check out the 2011 installations before entering and after exiting the festival grounds!
Sponsors, Media & Promotional Partners
Electric Zoo would like to thank this year’s sponsors and partners:
- h2O Spring Water; Part of the green initiatives, h2O minimizes the consumer’s impact on the environment by using recyclable, paper cartons.
- Red Bull; Sponsoring the Red Bull Riverside stage for its second year and in their third year sponsoring the festival, Red Bull is the exclusive energy drink of Electric Zoo.
- Coors Light; “The World’s Most Refreshing Beer”, perfect for cooling off after all-day dancing in the sun.
- F’real Milkshakes;Customize your own shakes at F’real’s on-site milkshake truck.
- BILLY BOY; Germany’s #1 condom brand has landed in America. BILLY BOY will have a misting tent and interactive area on the festival grounds.
- Sirius XM; Live broadcast and artist interviews from Electric Zoo festival. Listen to Sirius XM’s Electric Area on Channel 52 Wednesdays at 6pm & Saturdays 10am EDT for Electric Zoo Radio featuring sets from our artists.
- SPIN Magazine; Be sure to check out their special October dance music issue and Electric Zoo recaps online at Spin.com.
- CMJ 2011; Don’t miss the annual CMJ Music Marathon & Film Festival on October 18-23 in NYC.
- Mixcloud; Check the Electric Zoo Cloudcast series on Mixcloud featuring mixes from our artists at www.mixcloud.com/electriczoofestival
- BPM Festival; Mexico’s biggest dance music festival celebrates its fifth year in Playa del Carmen on the Riviera Maya from December 30, 2011 to January 8, 2012.
Due to popular demand, we’ve ordered more ferry boats!
About Electric Zoo
Electric Zoo: New York’s Electronic Music Festival now in its 3rd year, will feature more than 100 of the world’s biggest electronic music talent, including DJs and live acts, providing the finest techno, trance, house, dubstep, electro, indie dance music and more across multiple stages on beautiful Randall’s Island Park. Electric Zoo received a coveted IDMA nomination for “Best U.S. Festival” and “Best Music Event” by URB magazine, as well as press coverage from major media outlets like CNN, New York Times, Huffington Post, Village Voice, Time Out New York, New York Post, DJ Mag, and Ocean Drive, establishing it as New York City’s premier electronic music festival as well as a top American event. After a sold-out capacity crowd of 50,000 over 2 days in 2010, Electric Zoo 2011 enters its 3rd year with a new 3-day format and stellar artist lineup headlined by Tiësto, David Guetta and Armin van Buuren with Moby, Above & Beyond, Afrojack, Plastikman, Rusko, Boys Noize, Calvin Harris, Carl Cox and many more.
About Made Event
Made Event, helmed by Mike Bindra and Laura De Palma, working with a team of industry leaders, is committed to excellence in the programming, promotion, and production of electronic dance music events. They stand at the vanguard of their field due to the world-renowned caliber of entertainment and expert production values they bring into a variety of distinctive and innovative venues. In 2009, Made Event launched the inaugural Electric Zoo and was nominated for “Promoter of the Year” by URB magazine and “Best Music Event” and “Best Event Promoter” by the International Dance Music Awards for the best of 2010. With over 25 years of combined experience, and over 400 successful events produced in New York City and Miami, Made Event continues to set the bar for quality electronic music events.