A brand for club life, a compilation series, club residencies around the world, a globetrotting DJ, a genre defining producer, a trend setting A&R. It all seems rather complicated, so let’s break it down.
The brainchild of Jesse Rose, “Made For The Night” started life as compilation series that would provide a way for the listener to fully understand an artist. Not another remix compilation, “Best Of” or overpriced single CD DJ mix, but an insight for the listener to understand both sides of an artist, both what they play in the club and what they produce outside of the club. The series will not just look at legends or headliners but also the up and coming. Along with the compilation, comes a short documentary following the artist, the first in the series directed by Jules Audry. From here Jesse decided that this should also follow into club night residencies around the world pushing a forward thinking night, not a label night that has to put on the artists on their roster but a night Jesse could really put his love of all sides on dance music into one place. Mixing artists is Jesse’s concept, wishing to invite friends such as Loco Dice, Radio Slave, label mates Oliver $, Riva Starr and Round Table Knights alongside house legends such as Derrick Carter, Sneak and Cajmere to forward thinking new acts such as Axel Boman, then flipping it with artists such as Flying Lotus, Four Tet and L-vis 1990.
What better time for this all to begin than 2011, a time when people are done with one music all night long and at the same time are fed up with non-stop big tunes being played all night. When people can log onto the internet and be into a multitude of different things. Proof of this; Jesse is just as comfortable playing at L.A Sunday bash “The Do-Over” alongside Gaslamp Killer and DJ Quik playing house as he is at Cocoon playing with Sven Vath and at both parties the crowd knows exactly what to expect from Jesse.
What you have to remember is Jesse Rose started out recording for Derrick Carter’s seminal “Classic” label, created a scene with Switch that become the starting point for new scenes to emerge, from Ed Banger to Dirty Bird. Jesse then moved to Berlin and got deep holding residency at Panorama bar alongside Luciano, Ricardo Villalobos and Cassy. With his labels Front Room Recordings, Made to Play and now Play it Down, Jesse took house into multiple directions, helping to create careers for the likes of Sinden, Riva Starr, Oliver $, Zombie Disco Squad, Trevor Loveys, Round Table Knights and many more.
Jesse also seems to be the kind of guy that always happens to be in the right place at the right time. Moving to Bristol as a teenager being brought up exposed to the rise of trip-hop and drum and bass by the likes of Massive Attack (in fact Jesse’s first club night at the tender age of fourteen had Daddy G from Massive Attack as his guest), Portishead, Roni Size, to trips back to London to see his father, listening to Kiss FM and being taken to shows by Giles Peterson, Cypress Hill and hanging out at the famous jazz club Ronnie Scots. By the time Jesse moved back to London at the age of 18, he had already created a good rep as a DJ, produced his first tracks, mixed a compilation for house label Subversive and was about to meet the producer that would change his life; Dave Taylor, AKA, Switch. The two started producing together and Dave pushed Jesse to step up his game and produce solo material. Jesse then became a regular, playing at the newly open Fabric club and had his own weekly Kiss FM show. From there Jesse brought his version of house to Berlin and was greeted with open arms by press, clubs and the general public, bringing something new to a scene that, at that time, was fully focused on minimal techno.
“Made For The Night” is Jesse’s first compilation since the highly acclaimed Body Language mix on Get Physical in 2007. “Made For The Night” will be released on November 21.
“Made For The Night” Tracklisting
CD1 “Mixed For the Night” – Jesse takes the mood from deep, with the likes of Maya Jane Coles, &Me and Loco Dice to chunkier house vibes with the likes of Zombie Disco Squad, Snatch and Filtertypen. Touching on a few summer classics, his favourites from the last year and some back in the day classics, the mix encompasses what might be heard over six hours in a club into just over sixty minute mix.
- Henrik Schwarz & Jesse Rose – Stop, Look & Listen (Henrik’s Classical Version) – Unreleased Exclusive
- &Me – Empire State – Keine Music
- Joel Alter – I Feel You – Bass Culture
- Loco Dice – Don’t Make Signal – Desolat
- Maya Jane Coles – Little One – 2020 Vision
- Oliver $ – Granulated Soul – Play it Down
- Axel Boman – Paris 2006 feat. Kornel Kovacs – Play it Down
- Rafael Kakudo – Work – Clap Your Hands
- Tony Lionni – Precious feat. Marvin Belton (Deetron Remix) – Freerange Records
- Joe Goddard – Jump (Jesse Rose Edit) – Greco-Roman
- Zombie Disco Squad – Pinky (Monkey Safari Remix) – Made to Play
- Osborne & Anderson – Noho – Play it Down Exclusive
- Prince Club – Body Holly – Snatch
- Filtertypen – After Laughter – Yippee
- Isloee – Brazil.com (Non-Radio Edit) – Classic
CD2 – “Produced For The Night” – Rather than taking the straight up obvious such as Jesse’s remix of Armand Van Helden’s Playmate, Jesse has highlighted his favourite moments from over the last decade from unreleased gems such as his remix of his production for Hotchip Build A House, to his super hard to get hold of mixes of T.E.E.D Garden to classics such as Hardrive Deep Inside and tracks that gave Jesse his name (A-sided and You’re All Over My Head) and remixes of Claude vonstrokes The Whistler and Hot Chip’s Ready For The Floor.
- Jesse Rose feat. Hot Chip – Forget My name (Accapella) & Dubsided & Induceve – Papillon – Classic
- Riva Starr feat. Trim – Dance Me (Jesse Rose ‘Made in St. Lucia’ Remix) – Made to Play
- Hardrive – Deep Inside (Jesse Rose Play Late Mix) – Strictly Rhythm
- Jesse Rose – A-Sided – Dubsided
- Mark Knight & Martijn Ten Velden – A New Reality (Jesse Rose Remix) – 1Trax
- Jesse Rose – Everyday This – Dubsided
- Claude VonStroke – The Whistler (Jesse Rose Remix) – Dirtybird
- Telepopmusik – Ghost Girl (Jesse Rose Remix) – Green United Music
- Black Rose – Anthem – Made to Play
- Layo & Bushwacka feat. Green Velvet – Life2Life (Jesse Rose Remix) – Olmeto Records
- Teed – Garden (Jesse Rose Remix) – Play it Down
- Jesse Rose – Non-Stop Dub – Made to Play
- Underworld – Holding the Moth (Jesse Rose Remix) – Underworldlive
- Jesse Rose – You’re all over My Head – Dubsided
- Hot Chip – Ready for the Floor (Jesse Rose Remix) – EMI
- Recloose feat. Joe Dukie – Dust (Induceve Remix) – Peacefrog Records
- Jesse Rose – Well Now – Dubsided
- Content – No Refunds (Chi-Town Mix) – Junior Boy’s Own
- Hot Chip – Build a House (Jesse Rose Remix) – Emi (Unreleased)