When I stay in a hotel, I don’t usually spend much time in the room. Regardless of where I am going, I like to get out and explore the city I am in. For instance, Sheryl and I were in Niagara Falls, New York a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at a really nice hotel, but were rarely there. We use the hotel for the bed and the shower… that’s about it. I never order room service, and I rarely eat the complimentary breakfast in the hotel lobby. I want to see the city!
Earlier today, I saw an article on the Huffington Post of the worst hotel room views. I have had some pretty bad views… don’t get me wrong. But I don’t care. I don’t really care about the view. When we were in Niagara, we had a “water view”. Great… we can see a lake. They tried to charge us an extra $20 a night for the room. Who cares? The only time I saw the “water view” was in the morning the day we left. The view doesn’t mean that much to me.
According to the Huffington Post, the hotels with the worst views include:
- Stay in New York, New York
- Quest Potts Point in Sydney, Australia
- The Luxe Manor in Hong Kong, China
- Hotel Le Notre Dame in Paris, France
- Ayres De Libertad in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Catalonia Rigoletto in Barcelona, Spain
- Best Western Dam Square Inn in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Days Inn Chicago in Chicago, Illinois
- Hotel 41 at Times Square in New York, NY
If I am in any of these cities, whether for business or pleasure, when I am not sleeping, I want to be out exploring the city. Imagine being in Paris, France… the culture, the food and the museums. Why in the world would you stay in your room? I guess I don’t understand why a room with a view is such a big deal. If you travel, and I travel a lot, forget about the view. Go out and explore the city/state/country that you visiting.