We are ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen.
Over the years, I’ve always said I have a “Ritz-Carlton mentality” when it comes to customer service. I truly feel that perfection is obtainable and once you’ve achieved perfection, it becomes the only acceptable solution. If we can reach perfection, that should be the base for what we do on a daily basis. When we don’t, consider what Tiger Woods likes to say. “You can always become better.”
Since moving to Naples, Florida I’ve had the chance to work closely with the team at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples and The Ritz-Carlton, Naples. The other day I was explaining this to the team at The Ritz-Carlton, Naples and was handed a document that explained more about what it means to be employed by The Ritz-Carlton. I am not officially employed by them, but, like I said, will be working closely with them on projects going forward.
Since this means so much to me, I wanted to share with you some of their “secrets.”
The Ritz-Carlton is a place where the genuine care and comfort of our guests is our highest mission.
We pledge to provide the finest personal service and facilities for our guests who will always enjoy a warm, relaxed, yet refined ambiance.
The Ritz-Carlton experience enlivens the senses, instills well-being, and fulfills even the unexpressed wishes and needs of our guests.
Doesn’t that make you want to stay at The Ritz-Carlton the next time you travel somewhere? My buddy Scott travels for work, and told me a story about an experience he recently had at a Ritz-Carlton property. He came home from work and ordered a Coors Light. “I am sorry, sir, but we are out of Coors Light.” He sighed and ordered a Miller Lite. The next day, after another long day at work, he comes back to his room and finds a note on his bed that reads, “Sorry we were out of Coors Light last night. There are 6 cold ones in the fridge waiting for you. Enjoy!” THAT is what I’m talking about. This took, what, $10 and a little bit of effort… But made all the difference in the world. He told me that story and I have told 100 people since. If they can reach that level of service, why should we expect anything less?
The Ritz-Carlton has 12 service values:
I am proud to be Ritz-Carlton
- I build strong relationships and create Ritz-Carlton guests for life.
- I am always responsive to the expressed and unexpressed wishes and needs of our guests.
- I am empowered to create unique, memorable and personal experiences for our guests.
- I understand my role in achieving the Key Success Factors, embracing Community Footprints and creating The Ritz-Carlton Mystique.
- I continuously seek opportunities to innovate and improve The Ritz-Carlton Experience.
- I own and immediately resolve guest problems.
- I create a work environment of teamwork and lateral service so that the needs of our guests and each other are met.
- I have the opportunity to continuously learn and grow.
- I am involved in the planning of the work that affects me.
- I am proud of my professional appearance, language, and behavior.
- I protect the privacy and security of our guests, my fellow employees and the company’s confidential information and assets.
- I am responsible for uncompromising levels of cleanliness and creating a safe and accident-free environment.
That is a pretty comprehensive list and as you walk through a Ritz-Carlton property, staff really does follow these. The other day I walked in The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples and a lady went out of her way to open the door for me. She didn’t have to. But she did and I will remember that effort. The little things really do matter and The Ritz-Carlton has that covered.
It goes on to share the employee promise:
At The Ritz-Carlton, our Ladies and Gentlemen are the most important resource in our service commitment to our guests.
By applying the principles of trust, honesty, respect, integrity and commitment, we nurture and maximize talent to the benefit of each individual and the company.
The Ritz-Carlton fosters a work environment where diversity is valued, quality of life is enhanced, individual aspirations are fulfilled, and The Ritz-Carlton Mystique is strengthened.
Three Steps of Service
The Ritz-Carlton has three steps of service:
- A warm and sincere greeting. Use the guest’s name.
- Anticipated fulfilment of each guest’s needs.
- Fond farewell. Give a warm good-bye and use the guest’s name.
Remember when I told you a lady went out of her way to open the door for me… She anticipated my need of opening the door, and fulfilled it by opening it for me. That is next level customer service, yet is standard operating procedure for The Ritz-Carlton.
I’ve never worked for The Ritz-Carlton, but if I ever leave Troon for whatever reason, The Ritz-Carlton would be a good place to seek employment. With properties around the globe, have you ever stated at The Ritz-Carlton? If so, when and where?