On a recent trip to Chicago, Sheryl and I stayed at the Hilton Chicago. This is an older hotel, and quite fancy, but Sheryl found a really good deal online. A room that is normally $300 a night, we managed to snag at under $100 a night. So we rented a car (which was actually free from a previous issue I had with Enterprise) and headed north to the Windy City. The weather was perfect and we were ready for a weekend getaway before the fall semester started and the weather turned cold.
When we checked into our hotel I was surprised to find a hand-written letter from the hotel’s general manager. It was addressed to us and was signed by the manager as well. It was a nice touch that was unexpected after a three-hour car ride. The letter was sitting on the bed and read:
Dear Mr. Potts,
On behalf of the entire Hilton Chicago staff, we sincerely hope that you enjoy your experience in our Grand Tradition during your visit. Checkout time is 11:00 AM. Late checkouts can be granted based upon availability at an additional charge. Please contact our Bell Captain at extension 56 to request luggage assistance. Luggage storage at our 8th Street lobby for $2.00 per bag.
There are several options available to make your departure quick and efficient:
- Video Check-Out: Press the “Menu” function on the television remote control, select the “Service: icon and review your account balance and check-out.
- Zip-Out Check-Out: Call extension 4794. “Please leave your room number, name, and email address and a copy of your bill will be forwarded to you.”
- Key Drop-Off: Simply place your room keys into the “Key Drop” box, located at the Front Desk Registration area. On the opposite side of this letter is a copy of your bill.
- Printing Receipt Online: Being our valued Hilton HHonors member, you can view and print a copy of your final bill from your home or office. For more details, please visit www.hhhonors.com.
- Boarding Pass Printing: Complimentary printing of your boarding pass is available at our Boarding Pass Kiosk, located adjacent to the Concierge Desk.
Thank you for choosing Hilton Chicago. Have a safe trip home and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the Windy City.
John G. Wells
It was nice to have this when we first got to our room, and while we were not checking out for three more days, we were able to prepare for a quick and efficient departure. We had a rental car so there was no reason to store our bags and we were up and out of the hotel quite early so that we could enjoy our last day in the city. But it showed that the hotel either truly cares that their guests are informed or they just want it to appear that way. We did have a few issues with our room, and while the appropriate staff member looked into them, it was not the perfect hotel for us to inhabit.
Regardless, it was a great trip and we had a lot of fun in the city seeing all of the sights and eating the authentic Chicago-style pizza, and felt right at home when we crawled into our beds at night. Thank you to the Hilton Chicago for your attention to detail and your personalized attention to each of your guests. It has been duly noted.