Above & Beyondâ€™s 2011 has been all about one thing â€“ landmarks. In January they celebrated 10 years of their ever-growing Anjunabeats label, before Marchâ€™s 200th single release on the imprint; the genre defying anthem and Beatport #1 hit Rebound by Arty and Mat Zo.
In April, Jono Grant, Tony McGuinness and Paavo SiljamĂ¤ki then embarked on their biggest ever tour of the US with a road blocked 22-date stretch, including two sold out shows at LAâ€™s legendary Hollywood Palladium, with the first selling out in just 90 minutes – a new record for the legendary venue.
After seeing their Sun & Moon anthem playlisted by BBC Radio 1 and reach the top 15 of the Billboard Dance Charts in the US, the trio were ready to unleash their second artist album â€“ “Group Therapy”. Earning them a cover star interview with DJ Magazine and described as “stadium dance with an incredibly personal feel” and “artist album of the year” in a Mixmag review, the string-laden album has been praised by critics and fans alike as a masterpiece in emotive, song-based electronic music.
In such a fast moving year, it seems fitting to close on a familiar totem pole in Above & Beyondâ€™s annual calendar; their Anjunabeats Volume series. Capturing the sound of a label that has dominated Beatport charts and been supported this year by DJs as diverse as The Swedish House Mafia, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren and David Guetta, Anjunabeats Volume 9 offers 2xCDs of predominantly unreleased, exclusive tracks from artists like Arty, Mat Zo, Super8 & Tab, Andrew Bayer, Jaytech, Maor Levi and Above & Beyond themselves.
Modern, melodic and emotive, Above & Beyondâ€™s Anjunabeats sound remains unrestricted from one-dimensional genre restrictions. From the reflective, filmic pianos of Above & Beyondâ€™s own unreleased Tokyo through hypnotic progressive sounds like Jaytechâ€™s Overdrive to the synth-frenzy of Nitrous Oxideâ€™s iPeople and the explosive funk-charged house fusion of Mat Zo and Artyâ€™s brand new collaboration Mozart, Anjunabeats Volume 9 captures the full emotional intensity of the Above & Beyond DJ experience.
Also including Above & Beyondâ€™s futuristic electro-edged anthem Formula Rossa, Anjunabeats Volume 9 covers the work of over 20 artists â€“ a testament to the vibrant, tightly bound label family that Anjunabeats has evolved into.
Above & Beyond will be broadcasting the 400th episode of their Trance Around The World radio show via a special live eight hour broadcast from Beirut, Lebanon on 26 November – with guests Gareth Emery, Kyau & Albert, Mat Zo and Jaytech. For full info check out tatw400.com.
Above & Beyond ‘Anjunabeats Volume 9’ Tracklisting
- Above & Beyond – Tokyo
- Parker & Hanson – Afterthought
- Breakfast pres. Keyworth – Median
- Cramp – RU116
- Andrew Bayer & Matt Lange feat. Kerry Leva – In And Out Of Phase
- Oliver Smith – New Dawn
- Norin & Rad – Bloom
- Above & Beyond – Formula Rossa
- Maor Levi & Bluestone – On Our Own
- Genix – Higher State
- Oliver Smith – Symmetry
- Above & Beyond feat. ZoĂ« Johnston – You Got To Go (Kyau & Albert Remix)
- Ost & Meyer – Britanica
- Oliver Smith – Progress
- Tate & Diamond feat. Nicolai – Electrified (Mat Zo Electrofied Dub)
- Mat Zo – Bipolar
- Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford – Every Little Beat (Myon & Shane 54 Summer Of Love Mix)
- Jaytech – New Vibe
- Andrew Bayer feat. Molly Bancroft – Keep Your Secrets
- Arty – Kate
- Jaytech – Overdrive
- Super8 & Tab feat. Jan Burton – Slow To Learn (Maor Levi Club Mix)
- Nitrous Oxide – iPeople
- Mat Zo – Frequency Flyer
- Mat Zo & Arty – Mozart
- Cramp – Catch The Eye
- Sunny Lax – Contrast
- Mike Koglin vs. Genix – Dyno
Above & Beyond Tour Dates
- November 12 – Buenos Aires, Argentina @ Creamfields
- November 18 – Chisinau, Moldova @ Pavillion
- November 19 – Prague, Czech Republic @ Trancemission – 02 Arena
- December 28 – Goa, India @ Sunburn Festival